In this project, we studied the local watersheds of San Diego County to determine the impact that humans have on our local water resources. We documented human impact on local water resources through photography and created a photo PSAs. On the San Diego Coastkeeper’s website, we shared our findings in blog posts written about topics that students investigated further. Our goal was to educate the local community about pollution occurring in our watersheds and inspire change.
This project had two phases. In the first phase, students learned about the local watersheds of San Diego County and the pollution-related issues in these watersheds. Students built model watersheds with representatives from Coastkeepers, tested the water quality in local waterways, and visited the Advanced Water Purification Project water recycling facility in San Diego.
After the first phase, students developed inquiry questions and formed groups around these topics. Students then conducted research in these groups to answer their inquiry questions. Research included further water quality testing, surveys of adult and student related behavior, interviews with local experts, as well as use of internet sources. Students then co-authored articles describing their topic to create blog posts. As a class, students documented human impact on local water resources through photography to compose some of the photos for their blog posts as well as created photo PSAs to draw attention to those issues.
The blog posts were shared on the San Diego Coastkeeper’s website along with informational videos, infographics, and other components the students created. As part of their work, groups created a second “product” to support others in understanding their topic. Some examples of these products were pamphlets, infographics, organizing a beach cleanup, making and selling reusable tote bags, and PSA videos.
- How does water shape our local community?
- How do humans impact local water sources?
- What can we do to help preserve and protect the water in our community?
- Informational Blog Posts
- Public Service Announcement Posters
- Public Service Announcement Videos
- Event Planning to Raise Money/Awareness for Cause
- Learn about water pollution issues and local watersheds, field trips, water quality testing
- Create inquiry questions, begin research, share information as a group, begin 1st draft of blog posts
- Write, critique, revise second draft of blog posts and create final drafts
- Photography workshop, students take photos for PSAs and blog posts, groups create their second “products”
- Finalize work; exhibition