Mission The High Tech High Internship program aims to foster personal growth and help students acquire workplace skills in a real-world environment. The experience is invaluable for students as they prepare for college and the program offers local organizations a well-supported intern.
Logistics The 2020 internship dates are:
- December 5, 2019 - 12:00pm-1:30pm - Luncheon for new and veteran mentors to share experiences and learn about working with interns
- December 11, 2019 - Morning internship site visit to get to know mentor, site and discuss project goals
- Immersion: January 8th-February 7th with internship Presentations of Learning on February 7th. Students should have the option of taking off the MLK holiday on January 20th.
- Students should work a regular work day (this can vary by type of internship work, but should be 5 days a week, 6-8 hours per day).
Transportation - Students are responsible for finding appropriate transportation (their own vehicle, parent, company transport, public transit, etc)
- All High Tech High juniors are required to complete an internship with a local organization. The internship consists of an orientation followed by a four-week, full-time immersion at the work site, concluding with the intern’s presentation of learning. Students receive credit for successfully completing their internship and related course work.
- Each student is paired with a workplace mentor who understands and supports the goals of the program. Mentors communicate regularly with HTH about student progress, attendance, and project development.
- All interns develop a substantial project(s) with the mentor that contributes to the organization.
- Near the end of the internship, each intern presents his/her work and overall learning to a panel of mentors and other site employees. This culminating event celebrates the student’s accomplishments and offers an occasion for reflection and critique.