Features of the Internship Program
- All High Tech High juniors are required to complete an internship at an off-campus organization. The internship consists of a four-week, full-time immersion at the worksite. Students receive credit for successfully completing their internship and related course work.
- Each student is paired with a workplace mentor who understands and supports the goals of the program. Mentors communicate regularly with the student’s teachers about their progress and their attendance.
- All interns develop a substantial project with the mentor. This project should make a meaningful contribution to the organization.
- After their internship, every student gives an Internship Presentation of Learning (iPOL) to their mentor, their teachers, and their fellow-students. This culminating event celebrates the student’s accomplishments and offers an occasion for reflection and critique.
- The host organization should provide all materials and equipment needed for the intern to complete their internship.
- The internship is supported by the school, in which students prepare for and reflect on their internship experiences. Intern assignments include a journal, a photo essay, an in-depth interview with their mentor, creation of an internship portfolio, and completion of their internship project.
The Internship Project
The student and mentor work together to plan the student’s internship project. It is important to develop a project proposal during the first week of internship (if not before), to ensure that both the mentor and the intern have a clear goal to work towards.
In the past, interns have worked on projects that range from event and marketing support projects, web design projects, recruitment and retention projects with HR department, networking, software and hardware support, and public relations support, including presentations in public forums and in the community.
School Internship Sites
To find more detailed information about our internship program, please review the HTH Student Internship Program Handbook.
For more specific information about one of our high school’s internship program, please click the links below.
- The Gary and Jerri-Ann Jacobs High Tech High
- High Tech High International
- High Tech High Media Arts
- High Tech High Chula Vista
- High Tech High North County